Apply for tax relief

Your application must reach us within three months after you started working in Sweden. It will do if either you or your employer makes the application. 

Who may apply?

Both you and your employer may apply for tax relief. Read more about how to qualify at: Conditions for tax relief.

If you apply for tax relief through a representative, all communication including notification of our decision is done through the representative. The same goes for someone listed in the application as a contact person, except that in this case we will send the decision directly to you and your employer.

When should I apply?

Your application must be received by the Taxation of Research Workers Board no later than three months after you started working in Sweden. If the application arrives too late, we will have to reject it.

Unfortunately there is no way to extend the application time, so even if your application is one single day late it will be rejected regardless of the reasons for delay. 

How do I apply?

You must apply in writing for tax relief. The application must relate to a specific employer and a specific employee.

Please note, that there are two different application forms - one for applications based on remuneration rate and one for applications based on tasks and expertise. The forms will give you guidance on what information is necessary and which supporting documents to submit.


The Board is pleased to receive applications by e-mail. The application forms enable you to e-mail your application to us. When you click on "Submit the application" at the bottom of the form a pre-addressed mail with the application attached in PDF format opens. You may attach other documents you wish to submit as well. Please note that the connection is not encrypted.

The Board does not need to see the applicants’ original signatures, so an e-application is just fine.

To the top